Most of the time, we do not know the meaning of certain words. Without using thesaurus or dictionary, we can use the context to guess meaning. There are 5 strategies.
In the sentence, look for:
1. Definition of the word
2. Examples explaining the word
3. Word or phrase in another part of the sentence with similar meaning
4. Word or phrase in another part of the sentence with opposite meaning
5. Use general sense of the sentence to make conclusions
Other strategy includes breaking the word to its prefix, suffix, or circumfix to get the root word.
- Dave Parker (English cartoonist)